Path of Exile

Public section for all games
mob
Cadet
Cadet

Path of Exile

Post by mob » 07 Oct 2013, 18:17

http://www.pathofexile.com/
I've spoken to a few of you about this game on TS. It is my go-to game when I'm not in CS:GO, right now.

Path of Exile is, essentially, a Diablo clone. It is considered by many a Diablo 2 fan to be what they wished Diablo 3 had been like. Namely, not dumbed down into oblivion, a la Diablo 3.

The game is currently in open beta and has been since January this year. I started playing shortly before closed beta ended and the game has changed substantially in that time, with new skills and balance changes coming in regularly. The game is going to be released properly in just over 2 weeks time, with a new class, extra levels and many other new features.

It has one of the most complicated, awe-inspiring skill trees of any game I've ever played. The first time I looked at it I was lost for words, but as time goes on you learn the intricacies of how to build viable and versatile characters.

One of the big things that, I believe, sets Path of Exile apart from the other Diablo clones (including Diablo 3) is the level of involvement that the developers, Grinding Gear Games, have with the community. They are a small studio based in New Zealand but have managed to appeal to gamers of all nationalities, hosting regular race seasons and other tournaments for players.

Path of Exile is free to play and they plan to make their money from ethical microtransactions. This means things like aesthetics and extra stash tabs. Nothing game breaking can be purchased with money.

Anyway, check it out. If you enjoyed Diablo 2 at all, then you will love this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE

This is the launch trailer:

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/lhwf ... se-trailer

My current build is focused around a pair of gloves called Facebreaker that give you a massive increase to unarmed damage. I use these, in combination with Infernal Blow (when you kill something it explodes and damages everything around it), to rain punches of ultimate destruction all over the place!

lfb
Captain
Captain

Re: Path of Exile

Post by lfb » 07 Oct 2013, 19:52

Stop tempting me you devil - evil EVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Naxos
Private
Private

Post by Naxos » 07 Oct 2013, 20:47

So whats the difference between this and Diablo 3?
"One Vision, One Purpose"
mob
Cadet
Cadet

Post by mob » 08 Oct 2013, 19:30

You need to think about your build. There are many, many permutations and you can build whatever you like. I can start of as a Marauder (melee focused) but transition to bows or spells.

There are many more options with items and gem socketing.

I find the combat better. One of the big things that I hated about Diablo 3 was that you couldn't manually dodge melee attacks i.e. dive in then step back just as the enemy swings. PoE allows this.

There is proper endgame in PoE. There is a map system allowing players to continue to play on in a variety of settings with various mods.

The crafting system! There is no gold in PoE. There are just a variety of different currency items, the value of which changes from time to time. It can be confusing at first, but eventually you'll be selling items for 4 chaos orbs, 3 alchemy orbs and a couple of scourings! There are all sorts of recipes too.

The leagues! So in Diablo 3, there is softcore and hardcore. In PoE you have Standard (softcore), Hardcore, but also some temporary leagues. The current temporary leagues are Anarchy (softcore but with Rogue Exiles - boss enemies that have player skill combos) and Onslaught (hardcore but everything is 20% faster). In the new release there will be a softcore league with shrines and a hardcore league with special boss mods. The temporary leagues run for 4 months, and are a fresh economy. So there is no worry about starting and being outgeared...everyone starts from scratch.

And then there are the short term race leagues. From 12 minute races to 1 week grind fests. So much to choose from!

lfb, get it on the go. It is awesome :)
Naxos
Private
Private

Post by Naxos » 08 Oct 2013, 19:56

6. What does Path of Exile cost to play?
Path of Exile is 100% free to play, for everyone, forever. Our website will allow the purchase of many in-game perks and aesthetic upgrades, but all of these are completely optional, and players can have a complete, fulfilling gaming experience without spending a penny.
The fact that its free i MAY give it a go if time allows it around the current games and possible future job shifts.
"One Vision, One Purpose"
KGistooshort
Cadet
Cadet

Post by KGistooshort » 11 Oct 2013, 06:38

Thanks for pointing the finger at a new MMO, Mob.

I downloaded yesterday for win 7, but it won't run? Quick error message and shut down, anyways I will try get it to work.

Looks nice. I can see from the MMOHUT intro to the game that you have to choose leagues right from the start of choosing your character.

Does that work like different servers in MMO's so you cannot play together with ppl in other leagues or?

Looking forward to try it out this weekend.
I have not failed, I have just found 10.000 ways that don´t work!

mob
Cadet
Cadet

Post by mob » 11 Oct 2013, 17:27

Naxos wrote:The fact that its free i MAY give it a go if time allows it around the current games and possible future job shifts.
This is one of its best selling points. You can play every part of the game without spending a single penny. You will find yourself wanting to buy some extra stash tabs eventually, but even that is just for convenience as you could easily make mule characters.
KGistooshort wrote:Thanks for pointing the finger at a new MMO, Mob.

I downloaded yesterday for win 7, but it won't run? Quick error message and shut down, anyways I will try get it to work.

Looks nice. I can see from the MMOHUT intro to the game that you have to choose leagues right from the start of choosing your character.

Does that work like different servers in MMO's so you cannot play together with ppl in other leagues or?

Looking forward to try it out this weekend.
While I'm sure they host everything on many servers, there is effectively one server in the sense that you can communicate with anyone regardless of their league. However, the leagues are exclusive in the way you described. Hardcore League characters can't mix with Standard league characters, etc. The temporary leagues tend to feed in to Hardcore or Standard. For instance, my Onslaught characters got moved into Hardcore a few days ago when the league ended. In Hardcore leagues, if you die, your character gets moved to Standard (or scrubcore, as it is often known ;)

If you are new to this sort of game, you probably want to start in Standard. Lots of things are cheaper there because so many leagues feed into it, and dying only results in an exp penalty.

If you are a real man, Hardcore (or a Hardcore league) is the choice for you :)
mob
Cadet
Cadet

Post by mob » 23 Oct 2013, 00:51

Just a reminder, Path of Exile releases tomorrow at around 6PM GMT!
mob
Cadet
Cadet

Post by mob » 02 Mar 2014, 19:31

New leagues are released on 5 March, so I will be notably absent around this time :)

mob
Cadet
Cadet

Post by mob » 07 May 2014, 19:17

There is a 2 week charity race starting on 10 May that has both Invasion and Ambush properties. I am going to be taking part as there are some pretty sweet prizes on offer (like graphics cards and signed stuff).

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/915739
mob
Cadet
Cadet

Post by mob » 26 Aug 2014, 21:46

As a few Mauganeers are delving in to PoE with the new expansion, I thought I'd post some useful links and sites. They should make your life in Wraeclast a little easier.

Macros

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQSYJV0bp-w

This chap has some handy instructions on how to install macros for logging out, re-syncing character positions, checking remaining monsters and item level.

PoE Item Database

http://poe.xyz.is

The site is an item indexer - it scrapes the PoE forums and picks up items that players have advertised for sale, either in individual posts or shop posts. It has a very powerful search function. I often use it for trying to find gems that I need.

Ziggy D's youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/ZiggyDStarcraft

Ziggy D makes all sorts of guides for PoE. They are pretty noob friendly. I recommend checking some of his stuff out. He tends to do videos on cookie cutter builds. While I think most of the fun of PoE is messing around in the passive tree, getting a solid cookie cutter build can break down a big barrier into experiencing the end level content.

PoE Forums

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum

The class forums are a great place to see people's builds, and get a flavour for the sort of things you can build.

The POE wiki, but more specifically, the Game Mechanics section

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Game_mechanics

This explains all the odd systems and the interaction with each other. Definitely worth a ready if you want to go a bit deeper than click click click. The wiki in general is a great resource, so check it out.

Procurement

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/172710

This is an amazingly handing program. Especially when you have over 150 stash tabs full of shite. You can search, you can get an idea of your net worth and more. It even allows you to create forum shops at the click of a few buttons. Amazing.

Offline Skill Calculator

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-t ... 723/page/1

This is also really sweet. It allows you to make builds offline, but it will also tally up all the benefits of said build so you can see, at a glance, how a build is looking. Extremely useful. If someone gives you a build, you can load it in and then see what it gives, rather than having to manually total it all up.

That's it for now - probably will add more later. If you find anything else that you think people should know about, please post it below!
Grish
Private
Private

Post by Grish » 27 Aug 2014, 11:51

I may also point out that this Thursday (and maybe every Thursday if this catches on) we will start fresh new characters in the Hardcore/Ultra death leagues.

I'm going to be on tomorrow and say 9pm GMT we will all meet in town and start grinding our way together. Like one massive Maugan ball of death/slaughter/kidney stealing! Except Titch - don't trust him, he'll ninja all the loot and leave you to your death.
Speaking of death, if anyone dies, they get put into the softcore league and you may as well unfriend us (until next Thursday!).

Cheers,
Grish
Snipes
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Snipes » 27 Aug 2014, 14:06

sweet post man and grish when did you start playing lol?
TiTch
Private
Private

Post by TiTch » 28 Aug 2014, 12:03

well after getting in cruel i lasted a whole 26 mins then got fucked in a corrupted zone.
Time to restart ._.
Wombo Combo
mob
Cadet
Cadet

Post by mob » 28 Aug 2014, 18:02

That sucks, Titch. What killed you?

When you hit Cruel and then Merc, resists are very important. As is lots of HP/ES and mitigation (I prefer through armour or block in Hardcore, as evasion/dodge is just too unreliable).

Let me know if you need help with a build (and there is no shame in trying a cookie cutter build!)